Saturday 29 September 2018

My Autumn leaves

Officially, it's autumn. And if I look at the barometer, it confirms this seasonal turnaround. The sun is out, quite bright too, though the temperature won't reach more than 15 today. I'm protected from any chills by the double glazing. Not venturing outside today, except for Wednesday this of week. The furtherest I stepped outside was our balcony. I have a heavy cold. Most unusual and unexpected. Wednesday was a 'had to' step out as I had a physio appointment followed by a new coating on my nails. They have also taken on a more autumn look.

Funny really, I don't get colds much at all. I recall having one when I was in New Zealand last in april/may 2017 - again in an autumn season. Messed up my intended Easter activities there. Was more a bronchial attack. My daughter looked after me extremely well and pampered me which made my recovery all the more pleasant. This episode totally took me by surprise. Never mind, it's only temporary so no big deal. Just limiting in what I can and want do. Like today. It is 13:23 on a Saturday afternoon and I am still as snug as a bug in a rug wearing my warm comfy dressing gown. When I've posted this I'll jump under the shower and wrap myself up warm in comfy 'indoor' regalia. I would have preferred to have gone to the local market for some fresh fish and the enjoyable hustle and bustle.

We have a most enthralling view from our apartment. Looking down a river on which pleasure craft glide past, the local rowing club practice their skills and the bridge in a distance which allows the traffic to cross the watery divide. On both sides plenty of trees which house numerous birdlife, a path for pedestrians to enjoy the ambiance of the river and a setting sun presenting us with breathtaking view most evenings. A delight to live on this lovely spot.

With the falling temperatures, and the results of a long hot summer, most trees are in the process of shedding their leaves. The deep colour green has now faded to a paler version. There isn't much orange or yellow yet but that won't be long in coming. Each morning a new palet of colour greets me as I step outside for my early morning breath of fresh air. Invigorating!

Sometimes I too feel like those leaves. I try to make the most of what the day brings. As a person I am very optimistic with the added dosage of realism. Lately though, I have let my negativeness get the better of me. The struggle to regain the use of my hand after surgery got me down. My body didn't change to autumn but dropped into the unfathomable darkness of winter.

Now that I have reset my button, re-gained my composure and will to improve... I've arrived back into colourful and vibrant Autumn where the leaves ( = my disappointments),  which have had their moment of sadness, are being shed, falling off me in a breeze of renewal. I have literally turned over a new leaf.

When I look out my windows during the winter months, I visualise the leaves back on the trees in all their glory. I imagine the sun's rays on the raindrops and the return of the birdlife in spring. My turn around has me imagining the re-use of my hand, the new strength I'm given after the surgery and am making plans for the stacked up chores I've been 'saving' till I am 100% fit again.

Seasons are wonderful for giving new perspectives on life, bringing other experiences, challenges and possibilities. And in my lifetime I've experienced many seasons and gained lots of experiences and triumphs. I'm up for the challenges, looking forward to new experiences and will revel in my triumph.

Carpe Diem! Not just today but every day!

No comments:

Post a Comment