Friday 1 February 2019

Change is happening.

Heading: Oxygen is more important than Education

Good morning, it's February the 1st 2019.

I'm not a pessimist. I like think myself as an optimistic realist. I believe the best of everyone and everything till the opposite reveals itself. Right now, I am Optimistic that somehow we will 'handle' and survive the changes - and Realistic in understanding WE NEED TO CHANGE TOO!

After writing 'my piece' on the changing world - I stopped to have breakfast and read the paper. Lo and behold. An article over exactly that subject, AND the participation of the younger generation. Chapeau to them.

For our youth, the new generation and the ones to follow. I am glad they are raising their voices. We 'oldies' should join them.
My optimism is not misplaced at all!

The newspapers and on internet the message is clear. Our weather pattern is being re-written. Our world is entering a stage of renewal.

Here in the Netherlands, my country of birth, we are having an 'On again- off again' winter to date.

Prior to Christmas a wee sprinkling of powder which you could even catch the flakes as the melted down before hitting the ground. Then as the New Year took shape a lovely, pristine white landscape to behold for a few days. Finally my body received that much desired signal. WINTER has arrived. I need that to allow my body that 'cool down' period. To be fair, I don't have to don my coat, hat, gloves, boots and shawl and get to my work in the early morning - but when that still was the case I reveled in it all the same.

After 3 mornings of happiness opening the curtains- the white had turned green and the lawn was visible once again.

A few days ago, while my husband and I were on our return journey home after a few days away- we had a light snowfall. It lasted till we got home. No sign of it in the morning- the temperature was just too warm.

Lo and behold, my winter smile returned this morning. It was white once again. But how confusing. Birds are already gathering their nesting material, buds are appearing on tree branches with the promise of new life in the shape of leaves. The spring bulbs have already shown their hiding places as their green sheaths point towards the heavens. Our winter is extreme in it's absence!

Then, elsewhere, heatwaves so hot they are scorching the earth, annihilating wild- and plant life in it's wake. Roads of asphalt are turning into watery, oily slides and pets are at a loss as to where to hide from the burning sun. Framers of all branches are struggling to do what farmers do best- provide food and nourishment for hungry mouths. Sparks cause damage to forests, homes and parks, of untold and drastic proportions.

The weather patterns are changing at a rather rapid rate. We are aware but not ready for this change. Mother Nature has never stood still, only we haven't travelled at her pace. Our world is changing. Not only in the attitudes in people,  'the Me=Me so let ME be' society where 'only the strong and fittest will survive', but also Nature and all that entails is up for renewal. The balance in the world I grew up in has disappeared.

I am optimistic. We, as a race, will survive. It is the 'shape' of this new society that keeps me guessing as to 'how' this will manifest itself. I am glad I do not have a crystal ball to look into. I may not like what I see. For now, let's stop denying, crying and saying "What can I do? My contribution would be so small it won't make a difference"! Every drop of water helps fill the bucket. Help fill the bucket.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Anita, our weather here is crazy too. But you are so right, it is about our attitude in the changes, and, remembering that although everything around us changes, and we change, our God NEVER changes. He is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow.
    Great Post, God bless
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tracy, thanks for that. Yes, the only One constant in our lives. Thankfully! The rest is up to us. He is the beacon. Onward and upward to do what was asked of us...to tend to the land and take care of the birds in the air and fish in the sea.

      Delete
  2. Totally agree every drop helps and many drops make a big puddle
    Here we had unusual high temperatures Today we had 30 degrees again and last week as well Still manageable unlike Australia There it has been extremely hot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So feel for those struggling in the heat. Not my kind of lifestyle. Hoping the rains aren't overwhelming and the temperatures drop to a more 'live-able' level. A nice autumn would be good. I'm looking forward to that possibility.

      Delete