Thursday 14 January 2021

It's 'just' another day at the office

 

"Hi there, me here!" When I lived in New Zealand many moons ago, this was what I would say when I'd ring special friends of mine. My nickname for me from them became, yes indeed, Me here! Funny how memory moments pop into one's head. Although living far from New Zealand I do still have daily contacts and keep up with the happenings in my second homeland.

Hence the thoughts that are drifting in and out of my memory storage. Me here! But not there! There where life looks to be 'normal'. Slightly concerned, but normal. Just an ordinary day at the office.

Don't get me wrong, I am thrilled it is what it is. My family, friends and acquaintances live there. Somehow Down Under is far away enough to keep the pandemic at more than an arms length. Grateful, yes I am grateful.

From where I sit, looking in the distance onto a rather busy road, traffic bustles to and fro and I am wondering- what happened to the 'stay home, work from home and reduce movement decree' therefor minimizing spreading the dreaded lurgy we call Covid19? In March and April the traffic was far less. Are people becoming tired of the restrictions? Do they not care it is taking so long to combat this pandemic? Do they not realize THEY, and not the government, are the reason we haven't beaten this thing? If anyone is to blame for closures, curfews and loss of income, it is those denying the need for caution, for respect for others and just simply being self centered. To all those thinking this is just a scam. Go work in hospitals and medical centers where the nursing staff are barely managing to cope. Go comfort those who lost family members to Covid19 and other illnesses due to the pandemic. For those whose surgeries were postponed.

Anyway, I just had to get that off my chest. To those shouldering the burden en respecting life, chapeau! It isn't easy and not the most fun way to spend months on end. But you are hanging in there for the greater good. Not only are the youth 'losing' a year, so are the elderly, the sick en infirm. No matter what age, putting life on hold isn't a picnic. You know, it's good we honor those who fought for our freedom on the two world wars- but let's just not forget that they did this for the greater good. We can win this battle as long as we stand 'Shoulder to shoulder' like real soldiers.

Stay safe, keep healthy and be supportive of those needing help. Kia kaha! Be strong!

No comments:

Post a Comment