Saturday 24 April 2021

Appointments made.

 

What a relief. I received a message from a friend. Her birthday is 4 days after mine. It said, " All people born in the years 1953 and 1954 may ring and make an appointment for their vaccination agains Covid-19."

Despite lots of things that 'can't' happen, we were able to have a few days away in all safety and complying to all restrictions laid upon us.We had the privilege of staying in a lovely 2 bed unit friends had built on their rather long and lovely property in the province Zeeland. An absolutely stunning piece of the Netherlands waiting to be discovered and enjoyed.

Anyway, being away didn't mean we couldn't ring the National number to make an appointment to have our vaccination shot. Phone in hand and personal details all prepared I rang the number. " All the receptionists are busy at the moment, we will get to you as soon as possible." I wasn't surprised. The phone was set on speaker and I patiently waited my turn. After about 10 minutes this very friendly male voice spoke to me. I gave all the information required and mentioned that my husband was standing next to me. Was it possible he could make use of the same phone call. So helpful..of course he could. In fact the appointments would be made adjacent so we could go together on the same day, same booked time slot.

I am no lover of needles. My husband even less. Last Autumn I had my very first flu' shot. Never felt a thing and had no flu' type symptoms as a result. I am counting on the same experience. On the other hand. Hubby has a fear of needles. He is slightly concerned he may faint or at least feel rather weak kneed and passed up the opportunity for the flu' shot for that reason. So it will be interesting to see how we get on.

The relief and euphoria we felt was weird. I was very keen to have the shot but had no idea how thrilled I would be once we had a date. It gives perspective and the outlook for some more freedom to move around more safely. I won't be racing off to the shops or seek out crowded places. Not my style to start with. But at least when I am somewhere where there are a number of people I will feel safer and more relaxed. Maybe I will share the grocery task with my husband so he doesn't have to do it all the time.

The second shot is early June. That will be the icing on the cake. Maybe, just maybe I can go and visit my children still this year. Oh I so long for that moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment