Friday 28 December 2018

Reflections

Time to empty my cache of thoughts that surfaced today. Love the opportunity this blog gives me to clear my head.

Good morning.

I've just finished my breakfast and have also read the paper. These past days the papers have been full of  'warnings' from coaches and psychology experts about how to 'cope with Christmas arguments' at dinner tables and the 'mean mother in law' scary stories. So depressing really. Warnings about which topics to avoid at all cost. Thoughts on how to handle the 'politically incorrect' uncles ( and aunts) who drag nieces and nephews onto their laps etc etc.

Then on the other side of the coin. The 'things' that will make you super happy. What you needed to purchase for gifts, food items etc. Not to mention the advertisements for a 'Seasonal' holiday away'. This morning an article caught my eye. The internet sales site ( Marktplaats) is now reportedly crammed full of those 'much needed for you to be happy' Christmas gifts.

Now the Christmas part of this festive season has passed, the pages are now filled and focussed on 'Flash backs'. How well or how large the succeses and failures were these past 12 months. The people who achieved greatness but with extra verver on those who fell from grace.

It is round this time of year I feel like cancelling the newspaper. Don't get me wrong, the subjects I mentioned don't get a lot of my time, in fact more at a glance, but I cannot imagine why reporters want to infuse the readers with all this drab and negative stuff in a season when we as humans try to re-focus on the goodwill in people, of life in general, in gratitude and love for one and other. Or else why celebrate Christmas at all?

It appears that there was a newspaper, some time back, which would only print and proclaim good news. Positive articles about progress, new initiatives and succes stories. The idea behind it was to bring a balance to the negativity in the Daily paper 'we' the people devoured before or with our breakfast allowing it to influence our day. Generally with negative results. I believe it had to stop due to low distribution numbers and high costs. How come we shun Good News?

So that's my paper reflection this morning. Now I'll do a bout of 'reporting' myself.

Pre-Christmas time. Having invited our single neighbour to join my husband, my brother in law and me at the dinner table. Devouring recipe books and YouTube videos for that which may end up on our table. Managing in the nick of time to get some Christmas cards in the postbox. The tree decorated. I struggled this year more than most years. I miss my children with much more intensity at these special times. It took a dosis of down to earth thinking and encouragement to shed those sad thoughts. I decided too that I didn't NEED that new dress or sparkly top for that one special day. Went grocery shopping during the quieter hours. This didn't go quite as planned as we had a 'car breakdown' situation and it took 7 days to get a lease car, according to the garage proprietor  due to the 'Mad Season'.

Now this isn't a recipe for everyone's Christmas routine. I am just reflecting on how I managed to 'cope' with all this Christmas stress which the 'experts' tell us we are going to experience. Such a pity. I am not blind to the darker side of humanity. I DO know that there are tensions, disasters, great sadness and tragedies and they seem to escalate at certain times of the year. A wee tiny voice in my head does say however, that there maybe is a connection between all that negative reporting almost giving off a signal saying, " if you are going to be unhappy, derail or cause mayhem, now is the time because we expect you to not cope." People with the depth of problems need help ALL YEAR round, not just at the end of a, for them possibly, hardest year ever.

So, that's my bit for today. We need not stress anymore till next Christmas Season. Well that's a relief. I'm looking forward to the newness of each day whether it is 29 December or 4th January or even 19 April. For me, each day is the first day of a New Year. I'll no doubt toast right on 00:01 2019, as that moment too is worth highlighting. Bring it on.

HAPPY 2019 EVERYONE. 
YOU ALL DESERVE IT!

No comments:

Post a Comment