Sunday 23 September 2018

Life's timeline.


It is September. Time for me to hand in the articles for our quarterly newsletter for our Nature Guide Organisation. My husband and I are members of the VvHB ( Vereniging Vrijwiligers Hollands Biesbosch). A volunteer organisation which supplies the wo/man power to accompany school groups or other interested people who come visit our National Park. Every 3 months we publish a newsletter for members to keep them updated with happenings and events. I have been a contributor for about 15 years now taking responsibility for 'our' wee groep of fanatics in a special part of the park. This issue was a bit harder to write as I had to add an extra item, that of a memoriam of one of our members.

I have just sent the mailings to the editors. Feel a bit drained - but also quite honoured that this task was mine to fulfill. It was also my privilege to speak at his farewell. We lost a friend and the loss is still raw.

While writing this I received a phone call from another member of the club. He was due to attend a small gathering here at our home to evaluate an outing we went on to celebrate 25 years of our organisation. He apologised he can't make it. His 50 year old son has been diagnosed terminally ill. Appears the illness has been present long before it was discovered. TRAGIC!

The past hour or so has made me aware once again of the preciousness of time. Time we cannot fathom or measure.

R I P Frans
If I look back on the past 18 months, the time when our friend informed us of his ill health, I can but only be in awe of his endeavour to enjoy every last breath he had left to take. The practical as well as the emotional issues he addressed. The intense enjoyment of the daily chores, visits of friends, the attention he gave to those near and dear. Impressive. Not mushy and over the top, but with love, respect and sincerity.

Do I make the most of my moments in time? There is no guarantee I'll have another 25 years of good health. I don't think I am being maudlin or depressive. Just REAL. The reality is, none of us have an exact timeline. None of us have a set number of years in which we can 'do' all that we wish or need to do.

Friday just past saw a tragic accident happen here in the Netherlands. Four children between the ages of 4 and 11 were killed in a most tragic accident involving a train and a transport vehicle carrying these children to their school. The person in control of the vehicle and another child are in hospital fighting for their lives. Now there are many tragic things happening in the world I know. This one, so close to home, just highlights again, how many people are plummeted into grief, pain and despair when they loose someone they love. Such short lived lives. So 'unfinished' one thinks.

Autumn has hit the country. It is wet, dreary and bit chilly. Our summer clothes can be tucked far away deep into the closet. We are entering another change in seasons. Today my husband, his brother and two friends have 'escaped' from home and are on their way to Newcastle for a short stopover. Two dear Scottish sisters spent a week here in Nederland and are winging their way back to Edinburgh as I type. We had such a lovely time together. My grand/ children are asleep Down Under. All is well in my world right now. I'm grateful for this like you wouldn't believe.

Today I just want to revel in the thankfulness of my blessings. Having completed my obligations I am now going to reflect on my next adventure in life- and enjoy it with all my being. My new commitment to making short videos to leave to my grand/children and others on YouTube need updating.  I'm going to celebrate life to the fullest- even when the going gets tough. I won't get to do a re-run! This is my only chance and I'm giving it my best shot.


No comments:

Post a Comment