Tuesday 17 September 2013

Thought provoking- with a BIG message


What a lovely thought!

I woke up this morning and felt raring to go. Another day to fill with purpose and hopefully spend each moment doing what I ought to be doing. There are moments that I tend to get side tracked. One of my wee failings- I can be SO disciplined when I undertake tasks for others, but when I set tasks for myself- well that's a different story!


What is giving?

Do I give freely and generously? Not as much as I think I could.

Do you give?

What do you give - oh, and by the way, giving isn't sharing!
( Time, attention, money, goods, your new jacket- not that old worn out one, a warm meal, a place to rest, a seat at the table, advice, a warm handshake, your expertise knowledge, a helping hand)

Does giving come easily? Not always I am sad to say!

Have you ever regretted NOT giving? I know I have!


According to Wikipedia:

Giving may refer to:
Gift, the transfer of something without the expectation of receiving something in return
Generosity, the habit of giving freely without expecting anything in return
Charity (practice), the giving of help to those in need who are not related to the giver
Giving: How Each of Us Can Change the World, a book by Bill Clinton

According to the Good Book we can find many references to giving:

1 Corinthians 16:2, Acts 20:35, James 1:17, Luke 6:38, Proverbs 11:24,

 
The 8th of the Ten Commandments states: " thou shalt not steal" and millions of people can claim not to ever have stolen in their lives therefor upholding that commandment. This commandment came into a new light after reading a book called 'The Grace of Giving' by Marja Meijers which tells what one CAN do.

After watching a wee clip ( link on top of the page) which had landed on my Facebook page, I was touched ( as it ought to have been ) and I felt compelled to share this round. Not just on my Facebook but also here - where other readers visit. It made me wonder if I am at al times prepared to be a giver......? At ALL times, that's a LOT! And a challenge. Am I up to it?

Should this clip and it's subject touch you too, then please - spread the word and let others also know about GIVING freely, generously and without expectation.









2 comments:

  1. It is better to give than to receive indeed, it can be fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and I am all for FUN Marja! What a great reward.

      Delete