Thursday 13 July 2017

Summer versus winter

It has come to my attention, that the winter weather Down Under has proven itself as a more Northern Hemisphere style winter than what NZ-ers are used to.

Let me then tell you, that the Northern Hemisphere summers are more like those I experienced in my years of living in NZ.

Topsie Turvy seasons at best.

Summer is my least favourite season. Yes, you read that correctly. I prefer the somewhat cooler temperatures that Spring, Autumn and even Winter brings. Not that I dislike being warm, a gentle 20-24 tops, is more than enough for me to feel as if I am in the tropics. No, I am not complaining but stating a personal preference weather wise. There are lots of things one can do, despite the weather, and still get the most out of life.

And that is one of the challenges I think. To make the most of any given opportunity and see what a richness in experience it brings. That is exactly what happened here last week.

Every year we enjoy a 3 day weekend away with friends. Each couple ( there are 4) takes turns in planning, arranging and organising such weekend. We've enjoyed 11 such events to date. The latest being last week. The only difference this time was that we spend Friday to Tuesday in each other's company.

In an impulse last year we decided, after seeing a group of men on a launch, that that is what we would like to do 'one day'. Well, obviously you don't cruise round on such a boat for one day- we made it four.

Staying in a hotel has it advantages that you can 'withdraw' and have some down time. On the boat that isn't as easy. The friendships are long, personal and valuable. How would they be after 4 days being constantly close and in a reasonably comfortable but confined space? Sharing toilets (2) and showers(2).

The weather couldn't have been beter. The boat cleaner. The area more beautiful. The timing was perfect- school holidays had started but not in the province we elected to be in. We were all ready to face whatever challenges 'driving' such a boat would bring. There were deckhands, washer uppers, and of course the captain and the cook. Two VERY IMPORTANT people.

My challenge was; to cook healthy, interesting and delicious meals for 8. To provide a good start to the day (breakfast), nourishment during the day ( lunch) and of course closure ( dinner).

The challenge for the captain, who has had some experience in a sloop - but never such a large vessel, to get the boat along side jetties and giving orders to the deckhands for tying up etc. And did he succeed - YESSIR! Learnt a few new tricks while he was about it too!



Obviously the deckhands/washer uppers, had their own challenges.

We had a ball. Yes, the space was limited, the facilities sometimes bit restricted but oh what a joy. What a support and co-operation. What companionship and commaderie! Sure, not all slept like they were used to. Making do with less a lesson in appreciating the more we have at home. Staying 'indoors' while the others bathed on deck wasn't an issue as I spent that time in the kitchen....!

Our ( hubby and mine) summer holiday experiences - both together in the MG with once again limited space, and on the boat has enriched us in ways I hadn't thought about. I cherish my friends even more, my bed as well and my kitchen- ooooh what a blessing!

Most of all. I am proud we all made this happen and came out stronger than when we started on this adventure.

Oh yes, and what did I spot while paying a visit to Sneek in Fryslân - KIWIS on the water partaking in a water related competition!! My holiday had it's cherry on top!

No comments:

Post a Comment