Tuesday 20 January 2015

Counting blessings

...and we all get them in all sorts of situations and circumstances

Blessings to cherish

My life includes many a blessing. Even in sad moments, and if I was to take the time and courage I may add, I might see blessings which are sometimes hidden behind that dark cloud. When I do see or discover them I realise they are the lights that shine giving hope, bring healing and joy. Funnily enough that light is brightest when the times are darkest. Still, not easy to search for when burdened.

Today I want to share a wee part of my life - my blessing. They were all separate incidents till I completed the puzzle and saw the whole picture. Our blessings are generally connections or connectors - it is a human trait I think to see everything in pieces - except as a whole picture. God works in our lives - our WHOLE lives. We tend to take our life a snap shot at a time. Well, I used to anyway.

The first pieces of the puzzle

"Mum, you are oma!!" It was 1997. My son called from Australia ( to New Zealand) to give me the great news. Only I had no idea there was a grandchild in the offing. He explained after I had rediscovered my voice- " mum I have found the woman of my dreams. She is the love of my life. I want to spend the rest of my days with her." After a long chat I learned more about this precious
woman who was to be my daughter ( in law).

She had already been married and sadly her relationship stranded. In her previous situation she had suffered lots of grief. Now was her time to be happy. With my son. And although she was a few years older than he - they were and are a perfect match. I became oma to two lovely young boys and enjoyed the status enormously. I was the envy of friends and the first to reach this wonderful stage in my life.

Two grandsons, ready made. Gorgeous boys. Impish, sweet, sparky, gentle, loving and energetic. I loved them as an oma only can love her grandchildren.

Stage two - happy times met sad moments

"Mum just to let you know - you are to be oma again. We are expanding the family" Oh my joy knew no bounds.

The pregnancy had it's moments. They lived on a farm from the necessary services - but eventually all things settled. Then a dark cloud, my dad's failing health, interrupted the proceedings. I was devastated to realise I was to loose him. Also that he wasn't able to hold his first great grandson- a joyful moment he deserved to have had.

My son and his wife came over from Australia but unfortunately they were too late as the  moment they landed my dad died. Great sadness descended upon us all. My son who had hoped for his opa's blessing for the unborn child and his pregnant wife was truly saddened by his death. His love for his opa was genuine and ran deep. The day after the funeral they spent some time with my mum who embraced them and shared her love with them.

Watching from a distance

Things took a turn for the worse after returning to Australia. My daughter in law had to be hospitalised to protect the baby's well being (and hers). No email yet then, no skype. As they lived far from town - the distance travelled each day by my son was long and the months that followed were heavy going. The two boys were well taken care of - and visited their mum often.

In support I sent faxes daily, messages of love and support which were cheerfully received. Not only by my d-i-law but also by the staff who though this a wonderful way for me to be there - even though the distance was great.

The birth of their son was a happy moment. Not without tensions but all went well in the end. Joy of joys, and a gorgeous son entered our lives.

To be happy and to mourn

On my visits I enjoyed the company of the boys - each having their own distinct personalty. I got to know them better and better. You just don't realise how precious these moments are until life reminds you of it's fragility. The untimely death of one of the boys struck us in the very core of our being. A tragic accident which shook us on our foundation ended the life of Mitchell at the age of 17 in 2010. He may not be around to cuddle but in our hearts he will always stay. No one can take that away.

Déjà vu

Some time ago my eldest grandson met the love of his life - a young mum who had ended a unhappy relationship with the father of her two young children. I told my daughter in law - she was now an oma. Something she now realises how it had impacted on me al those years ago. This new situation made me an omaoma ( this sounds way nicer than great grandmother)

Recently I was told - "omaoma- we are to become proud parents of another child in our midst". Oh more joys and blessings. Life, full circle. Here we go again. My puzzle pieces all used up to make this picture complete. 


Is life perfect?

No, of course not. Oh yes it is. There will always be things in life we would like to happen in a way that fits our perception. No ups and downs, no unknown events or irregularities. Smooth sailing.

It appears that the expecting mum had a wee scare. Extra care is to be taken to protect this new life in being. Tensions because of the unknown events not te be controlled by us mere mortals cause other tensions. But that is no reason not to count blessings. However small or large.

I can now send emails and tekst messages and make use of Skype. Be there in other ways than in person. My blessings are in abundance. What a joy. What a miracle.


3 comments:

  1. We are so blessed, aren't we? Yes, there are ups and downs, but through it all God is faithful. Thanks so much for sharing a bit of your journey with us. :) One of my blessings I'm more conscious of this week is our oldest son, who turned 33 yesterday. Time really does march on, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen, how I understand how you feel. My eldest turned 42 last November and my son Reece just turned 40 years young TODAY! oh happy days..... I cherish each and every day - and count my many blessings that have been given me.

    ReplyDelete