Wednesday 28 January 2015

Time for a coffee break

"How do you like your coffee dad?"
and he would reply " hot, wet and in a cup!"
I still miss him terribly.
Oh delicious

I do so enjoy a good cup of coffee. Over the years I have had a fair few - and have even survived a period when I realised how dependent I had gotten on the liquid.

That happened quite by accident- both the addiction and the discovery, I might add.

Not realising how many cups of coffee I drank in a day but did know how much I enjoyed the experience I opted for abstinence one Lent. I would give up this aromatic, warm and delicious fluid for 6 weeks. I knew I would miss it - an offer I was prepared to make. Many didn't think I would hold out the 6 weeks- they were sceptical.  I didn't realise the impact it was going to have on me.

And what an impact it turned out to be. I suffered from withdrawal symptoms without at first realising that this is what they were. It was a hard road I travelled. Upon reaching my destination I vowed never to get myself that hooked on coffee again. And I haven't! It was a Lent action that did what it meant to do...made me aware!

Having a firm grip on the situation I now restrict my intake to two ( and on special occasions 3) cups a day. I even skip coffee days, yes I do.

Ten am... the ritual

Breakfast is a fading memory, chores done and a hubby who works from home. The hands of the clock point to the magical 10 o'clock and it is time to take a break- a coffee break. The best coffee breaks are with friends, neighbours or the possible tradesman who happens to be choring in our home at that time. In Nederland it is customary to provide the electrician, carpenter, painter, plumber or whatever - with sustenance.

We were to have company this am....so I baked a yummy banana-chocolate- walnut cake to accompany the coffee. The house smelled so comforting and homely. We have only lived here a month and paint smells still linger in a few corners - but not today. Today it is the odour of fresh coffee and banana cake.

Habits and becoming addicted to them

I am quite the average person. Female, started on fase 3 in my life - almost retirement age. I am a believer, not only in God the Most High but also His people- those whose paths cross mine for whatever reason.

People, we human beings, are creatures of habit. We need recognisable patterns in our day to give us a grip on our world, on who we are and what we are about. When we let that go - as I did the coffee, we feel the effects. Need to find a substitute to fill the (large?) gap created when we drop something out of our routine. Instead of 10 am being a joyful moment in the day - it can become a torture time, an unhappy moment. I filled it with positive alternatives - as it turned out, things I still hold dear to this day.

On my own I could not have managed those 6 weeks and have come out smiling. I do not know why I chose the coffee. It just popped into my head. I am just so immensely grateful that I didn't have to walk that walk alone. Maybe the Holy Spirit guided my thought process - that wouldn't surprise me one little bit. What I am sure of is that He did help me take each step to healing and freedom from coffee.


It was Lent- a time of reflection and awareness. A time to reflect. Subject - for the choosing. And I discovered my relationship with coffee wasn't a healthy one.

But there are habits, or addictions if you will, that have a positive effect on ones life.

Like taking a daily walk. 
Reading the Bible every morning before your first cup of tea. Even while on holiday.
Praying before meals - including in restaurants and cafes.
Working through the list of names in the address book and calling someone each day, just to ask "how are you?" and spend some time with them, till you have worked through the whole list.
Sharing your smile with all those you meet.

Healthy habits that give clouds their silver lining. And instead of giving up such habits for Lent - maybe add another one for good measure.

Get your thinking caps on - 18th February will be here in a flash.
Will you be ready to give up something unhealthy - and add something positive to your life?
You will have 6 weeks to purge the one and get accustomed to the other!


Fasting can be a time when we do BOTH

4 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you made it through the 6 weeks. We are always learning something new, aren't we? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anita, oh wow, this is a great challenge. I think I will give it some serious thought. There are definitely things in my life I need to give up. And replace with good habits. Great encouragement, great post
    God bless
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice inspirational words to ponder here. Although I am not a coffee drinker, but I am sure that there are other things that I hardly can do without like my cellphone, blogging and reading books.
    Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice inspirational words to ponder here. Although I am not a coffee drinker, but I am sure that there are other things that I hardly can do without like my cellphone, blogging and reading books.
    Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete