Wednesday 24 September 2014

My Neighbour's House - final edition

Thou shalt not covet..... those things that are of worldly value. You can't take them with you when you die.

That sentence speaks for itself. It is quite specific.

What we can take with us is a spirit filled soul which spent it's time on earth being the type of person he/she was destined to be. To love others as God loves us.

1 Corinthians 13:4-8

Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never ends. As for prophecies, they will pass away; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will pass away.



How can we give heed to the request made by God in the 10th Commandment?

One thing that comes to mind ( literally popped in just now) is that we can rely on God that He will provide us with all our needs. It takes faith to believe that.

Matthew 7:7-11

“Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, and the one who seeks finds, and to the one who knocks it will be opened. Or which one of you, if his son asks him for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a serpent? If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask him!

A smoker craves a cigaret, an alcoholic a bottle, a writer a pen and paper, an artist a brush, a musician an instrument. They will do almost anything to fill that craving.

A believer - yearns for knowledge about God.

Fill your heart with all things that will bring you closer to God - and there won't be room for the negatives, for the things which lead us AWAY from God and eternal life.


The book we discussed at length ends with 5 helpful suggestions. The easiest thing would be to purchase the book (Marja Meijers) and read the book yourself - and do what we did - form a discussion group. That may not be possible for some so;

here a shortened version of those helpful 'tips'.

1. Prayer and confession: In prayer make your desire known to God that you wish to become closer to Him. Staying 'connected'  brings about many blessings. (John 15:7). And not unimportant confess your worldly desires and ask the Lord to help you sever with bad habits, sinful thoughts and yearnings. Invite the Holy Spirit into your heart. Listen to his advice - be still and listen.

2. Eliminate destructive behaviour ( Coll 3:5)
I know this works from experience. Pray about the books you read, films you watch and friends you associate with. Ask for guidance. I did this. I prayed that books, magazines and films would no longer appeal to my sense of curiosity and fake wellbeing. My bookshelves have a totally different contents, my tv time has been severely decimated and the choice of programmes totally reviewed.

3. Invest in your new desire ( Matt 6:19)
I remember being a 'starter' in my active faith life. Hoped no-one would ask me tricky questions, or would quote biblical quotes I didn't know or would start a challenging conversation about faith in general. You know what I mean, "So tell me, how do you know God really exists?"
Read scripture, familiarise yourself with God's word. Watch the right sort of movies. Not about destruction but about uplifting subjects and uplifting morals. Spread laughter and cheer - not doom and gloom. Every cloud REALLY has a silver lining. TRULY! You just need to want to see it. Spend your TIME - on God's word. Be helpful to those needing your help. Love those who are starved of this life giving emotion. Be gentle and kind. Patient.

4. Ah yes, keep a journal

Last year I went on a special trip for my 60th birthday. I journaled every day. Not just ' we've just had dinner at Sandy's and we were late home." No, really journaled my thoughts and emotions of each day. When I now read them back it fills me with awe and wonder.
During your journey getting to know God, keep a daily journal. You will be amazed at the lessons you have learnt when reading back on those wonderful days. It is like keeping a photo album of your growing children. It tells the story. In Proverbs 7:3 one reads:  Keep my teaching with you all the time; write them on your heart.

5. Surround yourself with like minded

When you want to get fit you join a gym. Maybe you go with a friend or friends on set times. You not only get physically fit, but being with like minded people - the conversations are heartening and supportive. Join a support/church group. Start up a reading group like ours. I asked for wisdom to separate me from people who brought me down And funnily enough a few people literally moved out of my space. By unforeseen situations they were removed due to a change in their circumstance.

These are small steps to a richer faith life. I have thoroughly enjoyed digging deeper into my conscience and discovering things I long held for true- only to find they weren't false but needed further developing. I am grateful for those who accompanied me on my journey.




And I wish all of you who travel this road - a great trip!





2 comments:

  1. Great review of our last session and the book Anita. The tips seem very obvious, but they all work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahahaha Marja, that's why tips are tips. Thanks for the compliment. Haven't really blogged that many as a series before. Might just do it again. Tip of the ice berg! There are many more. So after reading this Blog and you have a tip not mentioned - share it with us dear reader.

      Delete